Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya Equipment to Stock for Emergency

Status
Not open for further replies.

94astro

Programmer
Jul 21, 2013
US
Hello Pros,

We've been installing IP Office for about 2 years now, all IP phones with PRI's or POTS lines. Want to know what I should stock in case of a system failure.

We stock PoE switches. Should we stock an IP500v2 in case of a power supply or motherboard failure? Should we stock an SD card in case one fails? If an SD card fails, is it as simple as loading the programming backup to the new SD card? What about licenses?

Thanks.

I'd keep a base system, a spare SD card, a combo card, and a pri card in stock. Probably a couple digital and ip phones as well. It makes troubleshooting issues so much easier if you have spares to test with.

-Austin
I used to be an ACE. Now I'm just an Arse.
qrcode.png

A swappped SD card requires a license swap. Be sure your BP can do that for you. Not all BPs are created equal. Some are very bad.

Ain't that the truth. And it's not always the business partners fault. They have to go to their distributor to get license swaps, and sometimes they can be...issue prone.

-Austin
qrcode.png

Thanks for the info, I'll stock a base system, SD card and definitely a PRI card now that I think about it. I was thinking a VCM but a combo card will cover a few POTS ports + VCM channels.

Haven't had one crash yet so no experience with a license swap, sounds like a pain, but usually is with other systems as well.

License swap isn't a big deal. There's a form to fill out. From this FK to this FK, blah blah. We can usually get a feature key swap in 24hrs.

-Austin
qrcode.png

Question, if a base system crashes but all cards and SD are good, can you just move the existing cards and SD to a new system and it will boot up exactly the same as the original system?

It will do. You only have to think about the essential edition license. Older upgraded systems created a virtual one during upgrading. A new replacement chassis doesn't know about that license.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back