Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya EPN vs MCC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigdred

IS-IT--Management
Feb 22, 2005
US
Hello Avaya Pals,

Can someone help me to define the difference between an Avaya EPN Cabinet and a MCC Cabinet? I am running a G3r Ver 10 spanned accross 12 Bildings, each one having its own cabinet. I need clarification on the two types just to make sure I do not mislead anybody enquiring

Thanks

EPN = extended port network, which can be on a SCC or an MCC, SCC= single carrier cabinet, MCC = Multi-carrier cabinet.

They are or could be one in the same. The MCC is the multi carrier cabinet. They also make a SCC or single carrier cabinet. The MCC cabinets are often referred to as the Refrigerator cabinets as they are pretty big and they have 5 carriers. The SCC is as it is described as a single carrier cabinet and they are expandable or you can add more SCC on top of them.

In you switch run the "list cabinets" command and it will tell you what you are looking for. If it list them as a "stack" that would be the SCC.

EPN is an expansion port network and is connected to your processor (PPN) through your SNI carrier or switch node interface.

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.
Thomas A. Edison

For the best response to a question, read thread690-1323977

Excuse my comparison to Appliances :), but this is the best way to visualize.

So an EPN would be the Cabinet that is similar to a Microwave Oven with 16 Slots. eg(10A)

An SCC is a 22 Cu In Refridgerator style cabinet that only has More than one carrier that are all part of a Cabinet (eg 1A,1B,1C)

An MCC is a 22 Cu Refridgerator style cabinet has more than 1 carrier, but also has other (Virtual Cabinets as well within the same "Refridgerator" eg 4A,5A,6A,4E,7A

How about Port Networks?

An EPN Cabinet only has 1 Port Netork assigned
An MCC can have more than one Port Network within the same "Refridgerator"

How about a SCC. Is that only one Port Network?

It will not matter if it is a SCC or a MCC cabinet. They are both EPN's. Each port network "sta port 1-64" will list the carriers that are in the cabinets.

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.
Thomas A. Edison

For the best response to a question, read thread690-1323977

As Mikeydidgit pointed out, there are two different types of items. The first is the physical enclosure type: SCC and MCC. The second is the usage of the physical enclosure: PPN and EPN.

The physical enclosures are the MCC (Multi Carrier Cabinet) and the SCC (Single Carrier Cabinet).
[ul]
[li]MCC (Multi Carrier Cabinet): This is the large "refrigerator" cabinet. As the name describes, the cabinet houses multiple carriers. In particular, an MCC will contain 5 carriers.[/li]
[li]SCC (Single Carrier Cabinet): This is the smaller "microwave" style cabinet. As the name describes, the cabinet houses only one carrier. Multiple SCC can be stacked to add additional carriers to the port network, but each carrier in the stack is still housed within a destinctly different SCC.[/li]
[/ul]

The usage of an SCC or MCC can be either a PPN (Processor Port Network) or an EPN (Expansion Port Network).
[ul]
[li]PPN (Processor Port Network): A cabinet designated as a PPN is used to house the processor card for the environment. The specific location of the processor will always be the "A" carrier in an MCC or a stack of SCC. This carrier will have less circuit pack slots, as some are reserved for the processor and maintenace packs.[/li]
[li]EPN Expansion Port Network): A cabinet designated as a EPN does not contain a processor and must have a connection (either via fiber connect or IPConnect) to a PPN. An EPN can be in either an MCC or SCC. In a conversion from a Definity environment to an S87xx environment, the PPN is converted to an EPN when the "A" processor carrier is replaced with a standard carrier.[/li]
[ul]
I hope this helps sort things out for you!

-Brian-
Semper Paratus

Thank you all for the definitions. I now understand the differencees....

Thank you as well JediBMC for taking time to break it down so well.

Have a Great One !!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back