Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya CMS User login question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ineedinfo

Programmer
May 6, 2007
US
Hopefully someone may instantly know the answer to a CMS Supervisor Troubleshooting question.
I have a user that has CMS in his startup when he boots up his PC, OS Win XP. After booting up the PC the CMS Supervisor opens and ask for password. When they go in they get an error message; "Error: The server did not recognize your Login ID and/or Password, your Login shell is not set to CMS, or (V8 or later CMS only) cmsadm backup is running." they state they only get this about once a month over the last year. I am hoping someone can provide tips of were to look to rectify the user issue. It is like his password locking out every 30 days and I was sure if this was an individual user option. The the current ver of cms is r14. I haven't seen this issue before

Try deleting the CVS_Cache.tmp file in the cache folder
(C:\Program Files\Avaya\CMS Supervisor R14\Cache ).

Susan
"When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers." - Oscar Wilde, An Ideal husband, 1893

also have the user check to see that something like cap locks is not on. The password is case sensitive and entering the wrong password will generate the same message.

Hi,

I've seen this many times.

You need to do the following: -

Go into options, then CMS Servers. highlight the server name or ip address whichever is shown. Now choose properties.

A window opens with a drop down box (left hand side)underneath the words "Server Version".

Click on the arrow and choose the version of CMS you are running or the nearest to it.

If you are using CentreVu Version 8 software it wont work. You need at least version 11, but 13 preferably.

Hope this helps.

Derek

[Started on Version 3 software 15 years a go]

The last 4 words of the error message may also be providing the clue.

If anyone is running a cmsadm backup, any user that tries to log in at that time will get this error message.

As cmsadm backups should be performed every 30 days this may be what is causing the problem.

Check with whoever backs up your CMS when do they do it.

It appears from your post that the user is able to get back in as you state that it happens every month. What are you or the user doing to get back into CMS?

- Stinney

Favorite all too common vendor responses: "We've never seen this issue before." AND "No one's ever wanted to use it like that before.

Thank Everyone for the valuable information. To answer the last question what seem to work 100% of the time is resetting the user password. Once this is done the user can go straight in. It is almost like his id locks out every month.

Thanks again!

Is password aging in your system turned on? You can rule it out if it isn't.

Easiest way to see if this is affecting this user is to login as root, then execute the command:

passwd -s [user-name]

if the system only returns:

passwd [user-name] PS

then password aging for this user is not active.

If it returns somthing like:

passwd [user-name] PS 0 14 7

Then password aging for this user is on and could be the issue.

- Stinney

Favorite all too common vendor responses: "We've never seen this issue before." AND "No one's ever wanted to use it like that before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back