Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya CM Emergency Location Ext on the Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nortellian

Technical User
Jan 31, 2003
US
I currently just have my extension 5555 in the Emergency location Extension field on my phone. I want to send my full 11 digit number to the PSAP using this field and not the public unknown number table. The reason is for normal public calls I want to send what is in the public unknown numbering which is set to send the main company number and not my DID. For 911 calls I want to send my DID. When I try to change the Emergency Location Field to my DID it tells me Extension Invalid; please check dial plan. I am not sure what to update on my dial plan. My current dialplan ana is just Dialed string 5 total length 4 and call type ext. Can someone tell me what I need to modify so I can put in 1xxxxxx5555 as my emergency location extension? Thanks!

You would need to use another extension as it's all dependent on the pub-unknown

5555 - uses main number in pub-unk <- already setup
dummy station 4444 - uses 1-xxx-xxx-5555 in pub-unk

use 4444 as the emergency ext on station 5555. and emergency calls will outpulse 1-xxx-xxx-5555

-CL

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the info. I believe you have pointed out good info. However I do want to be able to enter the full DID number in the emergency location box. I think I am going to need to add the public unknow for the DID as 11 digits. So i will need a public unknown of 1xxxxxx and 11 digits length. This way when I put in the 1xxxxxxxxxx in the emergency location it uses the public unknown. However in order to enter this 11 digit long number in emergency location I think I have to add an entry to the dial plan to allow me to put 11 digits in here.

So my idea is what you are proposing but instead of just using a dummy 4 digit number I want to use a "dummy" 11 digit number that matches the DID.

Hope this makes sense. I do not want to break my dial plan so am trying to figure out if I just modify my dial plan and add extension 1xxxxxx and 11 digits in the dial plan. I already have a 1 4 digits ext in my dial plan. I think by adding the 11 digit 1xxxxxx ext this would allow me to enter the 11 digits in the emergency location field and then also have the public unknown entry of 1xxxxxx 11 digits to match and send out the DID.

Not sure so looking for confirmation. I have seen the 11 digits entered in the emergency location field at other sites so I know you can do this but just a little fuzzy on the exact setup.

It seems like you're getting twisted up trying to circumvent the whole point of ELIN's. Read through the docs. Some highlights:

1. You do not need a unique ELIN for every phone.
2. An ELIN just needs to be a functional DID and an unregistered station needs to be built.

You can make 4444 the ELIN for EVERY phone if you want. Based on your unknown-pub, the PSAP will see the full DID xxx-xxx-4444 to use as a callback number. The PBX keeps track of what extension with that ELIN dialed an emergency number last.

i.e. - If 100 phones all use the same ELIN 4444, then extension 1234 calls 911 and hangs up, the PSAP will see xxx-xxx-4444 and call back to see if there is a real emergency. When the PBX sees an incoming call for this ELIN, it will know that 1234 made the last emergency call and it will route the incoming 4444 call to ext 1234 automatically. The purpose of this is for multi location or even multi floor locations when you would give each floor it's own ELIN so that the PSAP would know the FLOOR as well as the address based on the ELIN.

-CL

Do you know what I have to change to allow me to put 11 digits in the emergency location field? You can ignore the rest of this post if you just know the answer to this first sentence. Otherwise...Thanks!

Sorry if I am confusing and the info you supply is great but not exactly what I am looking for. We want to send their full 11 digit DID for 911 calls and send the main number for regular calls. We want to put the 11 digit DID number in the emergency location extension field and then have this number go out on 911 calls. I have seen this done before at a site but am forgetting how it was configured. So in my head we have to expand the dial plan somehow to allow us to put 11 digits in the emergency location extension field and then have a corresponding public unknown entry for the 11 digit extension in the field. So calls to 911 send the 11 digit number from the emergency location field and its public unknow entry and calls to regular numbers use the public unknown for the extension which sends the company number. I am just not sure how to expand my dial plan to allow me to put 11 digits in the emergency location field. Maybe I cannot because of the way our dial plan is setup compared to the company I knew that had this setup. Thanks!

ELE is Emergency Location Extension. It has to be an extension in your dialplan. It doesn't need to exist as a real station, but it has to be something that fits in your extension ranges.

Lopes gave you the right info. Use a dummy extension like 4444 and in the public unknown table have 4444 mapped to send the 11 digit number you want.

This is assuming you have a service on your PRI or SIP trunks that allow you to send whatever number you want to the PSAP. You typically get that if you have 10 floors and you get 40 DIDs so each DID in the PSAP database says something like "3rd floor North East corner" or something like that.

If you don't have that particular service on your trunks then regardless of what you send, the carrier is likely substituting the number you send with a main billing number that was setup for the PSAP so you don't get scenarios where you send any one of 1000 DIDs you have on your service as the calling party number because you're not likely to have 1000 DIDs in the PSAP database each with location information.

Might help if you mention where you are in the world and what type of trunks you have as different countries have different conventions and rules for this stuff.

While kyle555's advice is correct from a programming standpoint, I would take exception to the part where it states it doesn't need to be a real station. It is best practice to have a working station built for your ELIN because, at least in North America, most PSAPs will dispatch police/fire if the 911 call is hung up or disrupted before completion unless they can call that number back and get some assurance that all is ok.

We're all ignorant, just in different subjects.

JefferP said:
While kyle555's advice is correct from a programming standpoint, I would take exception to the part where it states it doesn't need to be a real station. It is best practice to have a working station built for your ELIN because, at least in North America, most PSAPs will dispatch police/fire if the 911 call is hung up or disrupted before completion unless they can call that number back and get some assurance that all is ok.

lopesq211 said:
Based on your unknown-pub, the PSAP will see the full DID xxx-xxx-4444 to use as a callback number. The PBX keeps track of what extension with that ELIN dialed an emergency number last.

To be clear, the PBX keeps track of what extension with that ELIN dialed an emergency number last and will route the inbound call from the PSAP to that extension.

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

Nortellian, the only way I see to accomplish part of this where the DID gets sent to the PSAP is to set up special trunk groups just for 911. This would allow you to make an entry in the public unknown table for those 911 trunk groups that does not modify what is being sent for ANI.

mattKnight's comments are accurate. However, IMO it's always better to have a real number that PSAP can call back and have a high probability that someone at the company will answer. I typically use a virtual station with coverage to a CAG that includes stations such as front desk, guard station, HR, supervisor, etc. I have seen some companies struggle with employees making fake 911 calls and hangups to 911 and when PSAP calls back and CM connects them to the calling party's station, no one answers and PSAP rolls PD/FD and customer gets billed.

We're all ignorant, just in different subjects.

The Emergency Location Extension (ELE) must be built as a station in CM. It can be either a virtual or "real" extension but it has to be built.

If you want Emergency Services to reach the original caller, the ELE must be a physical set type (analog, digital, IP) but should remain x-ported or not logged in. When an emergency call is made, CM puts a temporary call-forward on the ELE to the last station that dialed 911. You can set the timer on page 5 of System-Parameters Features, Emergency Extension Forwarding (min): where the default is 10 minutes. The call-forward does not work on Virtual stations so "real" stations are recommended.

If you want Emergency Services to call back to a centralized location, such as a Security Office, then you may use Virtual Stations to save station licenses and assign a coverage path to your desired destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back