Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya CM DHCP scope options question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TN94z

Technical User
Apr 15, 2010
US
I am not having much luck with a search. Within the DHCP scope setup by the customer for our phones, we have an entry like this "SIG=2, HTTPSRVR=X.X.X.X, VLANTEST=90."

My question is, what is the SIG=2 telling me? And what does the MCIPADD IP control?

Here is my situation for the backstory to the question. We are converting from Nortel Blue to Avaya CM. The initial sites were installed several years ago as H323, J169 phones. This week we have started to move them from H323 to SIP. SIP firmware loaded onto the Utility server. The DHCP scope was adjusted to now reflect the SIP Utility server. We go in, reboot the H323 phones, you can see them query the new SIP IP with a 200 Ok. But the phones come back up with H323 still. We could clear and reset the values from admin and it will still come back with H323. We received no status bar indicating a SIP downloading.

I had the networking guy do a stare and compare to a scope where this does not happen. He ended up removing the MCIPADD IP (which was pointed at the CM server). He also removed the Port associated. One other thing he noticed was the the SIG= was different as well, so he matched that setting. After these changes, we could reboot the phones and they would get the SIP software with no issue.

SIG=2 means download SIP firmware.
MCIPADD is the H323 gatekeeper that an H323 phone should register to. If a phone is SIP, it'll ignore that.

Not sure why your phones were staying H323 when SIG=2. Maybe it was set to SIG=1 in DHCP if the problem was tied to specific subnets?

That makes sense and is what I guessed that meant. The location that was having the issue was set with SIG=1 via the DHCP Scope.

So I assume SIG=1 tells the phone to get H323?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back