Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya alarming emails configuration 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

feeelings

IS-IT--Management
Feb 20, 2020
DE
Hello all,

I hope everyone is doing great in these quarantine times as technicians as well as your families and loved ones.

I have a query on how to set up alarming notification emails. I know there is a way to use the current SAL and hook it up with a third party MNS. Is there a possibility to use basic architecture given by Avaya such as system manager or CM and receive our customer alarms to my BP email address?

I tried contacting Avaya but it is a co-delivery contract and my certification has expired 2 years and I have just started working in the Avaya field again.

If my grammar is incorrect of way asking is rude or incorrect then please let me know, I will write again,

Wonderful day ahead to all!

Regards,
Avaya tech!

If co-delivery, your BP should have some sort of alarm monitoring. Can they send you email notifications?

What release?

P905 - trap listener service

You can configure an email forward on the trap listener service and you can configure an SMTP server on SMGR.

When you setup things with DRS - like Breezes and SMs, they automagically alarm to SMGR. But you can use the serviceability agent configuration to make SMGR tell your AVPs and your other Aura devices where to alarm as well - like to SAL and to SMGR too. Things like CM/AAM/AES you'd need to configure to alarm to SMGR manually, but at the heart of it, yes, there's an SMMP trap to email gateway kind of thing in there.

Your next question will inevitably be how to filter the signal from the noise. In the elements that support the serviceability agent configuration, there's notification filter profiles. So, you can make a notification filter profile for element of type SM and you'll see a list of all the SNMP traps it can send. You can select/deselect whichever you like so you've got some means of only sending certain events to SMGR to turn into emails. CM will be a little harder.

And that's where you'll realize the upper limit of what SNMP-->email can do, with various rules in Exchange vs a proper NMS.

SAL can also forward traps - that way you point all your Aura to SAL and SAL can send to Avaya and to you as well, but I'm not sure about email.

From the Avaya support page, you can setup notifications for the customer's FL# to some email addresses - them or you - and unless you're setting up your own NMS, that's probably better because NMS's have thesholding and stuff - so if the alarm clears in <5 minutes, it doesn't cut a ticket and doesn't email anyone. But, if you just had SMGR forward all the traps, you'd have to check your email in the middle of the night to see an email for a MG-DS1 WARNING happened at 1AM and a clear email happened at 1.02.

Hello Kyle,

Thank you very much for the detailed information. At first, I had a stroke that can I comprehend this much tech? Then I realized how simply you have peeled the information for me. I have set up my lab System Manager accordingly and then I realized I have to setup up my CM aswell in FP traps V3( did it). Now, I need to bring a fake alarm in my CM and see if it is working as intended.

Document to setup CM and Session manager inorder to receive alarms in System Manager -
Once again thank you very much and wish you a wonderful day ahead!

Regards,
Avaya Tech

add a port network and an ipsi that aren't there. You'll get a major cabinet alarm :)

Or, you can just go into Inventory -->Serviceability Agents and generate a test trap from a session manager or system manager.

Hello Kyle,

Good day!

I have configured both of my system manager and CM appropriately but I haven't seen any incoming traps to my email address. Would you suspect if there any connectivity issues between these two applications?

PFA pictures
CM_FP_ecvlqm.png
SMGR_trap_n9anw5.png

*note: I blurred the email address inorder to oblige to the TOS of the website.

Wish you a good day ahead!

Regards,
Avaya Tech!

Go in the Administrators part of SMGR - there's a place to set a SMTP server in there.

Hello Kyle,

It worked like a champ! Thank you very much for all the continued guidance and support!

Regards,
Avaya Tech!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back