Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya 9601 Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

techma2

Vendor
Mar 2, 2010
US
I have some 9601 I am trying to boot up on my CM 5.2.1 The come up and I try to assign an extension with our password (which usually works fine) but I get an error that says "empty SIP proxy server. I have tried to boot them up using H.323 as an option without SIP but still get the same error. Then I have also cleared the values in the craft menu.

Is that error common?

Yup. 9601s are SIP only, so they would require Session Manager.

I understand there was some talk about making H.323 firmware for them, but unless something has changed recently, they cannot register to CM. Only through Session Manager can you use them on CM.

Thank you for the clarification kyle555. Do you know if IP Office will support Session Manager?

Yes, IPO and SM interoperate together. You phrased your question with relation to CM - which does require SM for SIP phones to register.

SIP phones can register directly to IPO without SM - its a smaller business solution, so there's a different approach there.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Sorry that was more of an exploratory question about the IP Office. Here's what is being used. I thought it was CM5.2 like my location but this has been upgraded to Gateway G430
Avaya Communications Manager 6.32

We are trying to get these phones to boot up. Using a G430 Gateway they are all to be SIP phones, to register with Session Manager upon connection to network. We push out the correct server information to them via DHCP so they will register after firmware updates. There's about 30 of them and I have a hard time believing they are all bad.

Do you have any other SIP phones (9608/9608G/9611G/9621G/9641G) working in this same environment?

Yes we can use any of the phones you have listed and they boot right up but they don't have to be programmed with SIP. These 9601 are SIP only and we don't have Session Manager running so that is probably the problem. Is it possible to run a SIP phone without Session Manager?

No. You need Session Manager for SIP phones to register to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back