Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Avaya 6408 and asterisk

Status
Not open for further replies.

cocovoip

Technical User
Apr 14, 2008
US
Can I get an Asterisk PBX to work with Avaya 6408 handsets. Don't need voip just function as it did with the old PBX

6408 is a DCP phone (digital not IP)

Joe W.

FHandw., ACA, ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

No. They are digital phones and not IP - H.323 is only available on IP phones.

u would think by now someone would have written a program in asterisk to get around this. now these people have to stay with avaya at twice the cost.

you would have to backwards engineer the AVAYA PBX, emulate it on an asterisk environment and connect the proprietary digital AT&T phones.
Do you see the legal problem here? Avaya would hand them their asses on a platter.

it is a 2 wire connection not a LAN connection for the phone and it has almost the same values as a 2 wire ISDN connection with 2 b-channels and one d-channel, there is no engineering in the world that will make this thing work on any LAN. That would be the same as asking to make rotary dial phones work on IP. Two different animals.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACA, ACS

There is a company called Citel that sells a SIP gateway for digital phones (several brands, avaya/lucent included). Check their site/brochure below and see if it is what you are looking for.

I think I read about another company/product selling a similar product but cannot remember the name at the moment but google around.

In the case you were able to test their product please post back a comment about it with your impressions and if it works.

regards
richard

there is also a SIP gateway from Avaya called IP Office that you can use, comes with nice other features too.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACA, ACS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back