Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AV software. Pick something new or stick with what I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budgetguy

Technical User
Jun 22, 2006
US
Hi

I've been using Kaspersky for the last year and it's seemed to have worked fairly well. Now it's time to renew and I was wondering if anybody had a recommendation about changing or staying with what's worked for me in the past.

If it works, stick with it. I've used Sophos and CA's AV (formerly e-Trust) and like them. I prefer Sophos but they are $$$$ (or €€€€€€).

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

If you like it and it works well for you, stick with it. None of them are perfect.

I'd always recommend using two - no single AV package will detect all viruses.

I am currently using Avast and AVG. Both are free. I rate Avast particularly highly.

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

Thanks for the input. I'll stick with what I've got.

I use Avast as well, though I've been thinking about switching recently because it always has spotty detection of the "next new thing" when the ISC ( runs a malware through VirusTotal. I think I'll look into AVG and try running them concurrently. Thanks for the tip Ed.

No worries.

The online House Call scanner service from Trend Micro is useful too...

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

CA eTrust is a fine product. Also one of the cheapest for enterprise deployments too. (Think they have some offer on that they'll beat or at least match competitors - or at least they did a year ago when I brought it)

Steve.

"They have the internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson

don't overlook Panda.

Their tech support puts symantec and others to shame. eats a lot of ram, but doesn't require a lot of know how to use. just does its job.

-r

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back