Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AUX-Modem dial in

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinDFleX2K

IS-IT--Management
Dec 7, 2000
GB
Hi all

Hope all are well.

I have been trying to configure a 3620 with a US Robotics Courier modem so I can get Exec Dialin connectivity through the AUX port. SO far no good. I cant telnet to the port (AUX 65 on 3620). I have followed the instructions on the bottom link:

Has anyone done this before? If so, how the heck do I do it?

hahah

anyway, hope you can help

Thx in advance

It's been done.. many, many times .. in fact it's part of the Cisco academy semester 6 (remote access).

Post a copy of your config.. AND the switch settings for the modem. Which cable are you using? which DB adapter? It should be the one with *modem* stamped into it.. not *terminal*

MikeS
Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Hi

Thanks for your response. I have managed to get a connection but I cannot get a response from the modem. I am using a straight through cable as I was using a Cisco Blue cable before (flat). I have tried a few things but still no joy. I know it must be something daft that I have not spotted (its been a loooong week). I am doing a reverse-telnet to FA0/0 and that works fine...but the screen seems to freeze after I connect.

Bye the way, this is a test router but I need to have it up and running as part of a project ... ho hum :)

Once again, thanks for your help.

sh run
Building configuration...

Current configuration:
!
version 11.3
service timestamps debug uptime
service timestamps log uptime
no service password-encryption
!
hostname Router
!

enable password I hate routers
!
no ip routing
!
!
process-max-time 200
!
interface Loopback1
ip address 10.10.254.21 255.255.255.255
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
ip address 10.10.1.5 255.255.255.0
no ip redirects
no ip route-cache
no ip mroute-cache
full-duplex
!
interface FastEthernet1/0
no ip address
no ip route-cache
no ip mroute-cache
shutdown
!
ip default-gateway 10.10.1.254
ip classless
!
!
line con 0
login
line aux 0
no exec
password cisco
login
modem InOut
modem autoconfigure type usr_courier
transport preferred telnet
transport input all
flowcontrol hardware
line vty 0 4
password i hate routers
login
!
end

Router#
Router#
Router#

line aux 0
no exec ; dump this for now
password cisco
login
!
set your speed here.. speed 115200
!
modem InOut
modem autoconfigure type usr_courier
transport preferred telnet ; dump this for now
transport input all
flowcontrol hardware

verify the modem settings for autoanswer and hardware flow control.. run modem autodiscovery and see what it matches to. If it doesnt match up to the usr_courier, then you need to edit the modemcap file or manually configure the modem

AT&F normally loads the defaults on the modem
ATS0=1 autoanswer

AT&C1&D3 will set up the CD and DTR

MikeS

Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back