Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aux copy with bad tape 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

td07

Technical User
Mar 11, 2008
CA
Hi all,

CommVault is trying to do an Aux monthly copy but the tape it required is bad, keep getting error when it try to read from it. Clean all the drives and the system also try to use the tape on different drive as well. The job is at 99%, how do I skip this bad tape and let the job finish?
Using Simpana version 8 with all the patches and up to date.

Thanks in advance for all the help

Hi

Firstly ensure the 'Skip job on read errors during Auxiliary copy' option is set to enabled (1) from the Media Management Configuration (Service Configuration) dialog box available in the Control Panel.
This will skip any problem jobs but, return to retry at the end

If this is enabled and you still receive the error then as it's at 99% most of your data has been copied
I would kill the auxcopy, view jobs and delete the affected auxcopy job..this will then prevent it trying to read the tape again

Birky
CommVault Certified Engineer

Thanks Birky. I did have the Aux copy option enabled so I killed the job but I have a long list of jobs that are marked "to be copied" how do I know which one is the one that cause the aux copy problem?

Thanks again for the help

will be the oldest job as it copies them in order...you can also look in view jobs just look for the one that shows 'killed' ;-)

Then restart your aux copy...hopefullly the next job will be on a different tape

Birky

I can't find anything with a killed job but I looked at the contents of the bad tape and removed the servers listed "to be copied" from the jobs. The aux copy is running again now and not using the bad tape.

I have a request for CommVault and I'm not sure where to request this. If possible for the next patch if CommVault can check the mail slot or (IE) port when it required tape that's not in the library for a restore. I find it time consuming because the tape has been exported but not yet remove from the IE port so it's still in the library but CommVault won't look there, it just simply report that the tape is not in the library so I have to remove all the exported tapes, wait for the library to inventory, re-import the required tape and wait for the inventory again. We have a large library and this need a bit of time, if CommVault would look in the IE port this would save a lot of time. Hopefully this can be done in the future patch.

Thanks again for the help.
Tien

I asked this question before but now the job is at 50% and it hit a bad tape. The Aux copy skip on error is enable and I did kill the job to look for the kill jobs but can't find any. How do I get the aux copy going when commvault still want to read from the bad tape when I restart the aux copy again. Please help.

looks like you are going to have to skip all jobs for that tape to stop having problems.....try selecting 'view media not copied'....can you right click and select something like 'don't copy??.....if not then look for the jobs that are held on that tape & select 'prevent copy' for those jobs

Birky

Thanks for the quick reply Birky. Yes I can right click on the bad media and select "prevent copy" will wait and see if the job will continue without this tape.

The one that is having the jobs will be marked as partial. From within the jobs inside the policy you can set it to don't copy or recopy to try again.

Birky is right.

Just thought I might be able to add something here to help you. We also occasionally have corrupted backup jobs which prevent our aux copies from finishing. If you are sure that the job is definitely corrupt, it can also be 'pruned' (deleted) as it is useless and not readable. The way I find out *which* job is the one that's corrupt and causing the problem is to view the error events associated with the auxiliary copy. You will see errors appear in here stating something like this:

"Failed to Copy or verify Chunk [1889093] in media [CV_MAGNETIC], Storage Policy [], Copy [], Host [servername.domain.com], Path [X:\\CV_MAGNETIC\V_4821402], File Number [213], Backup Jobs [1234567].
Data read from media appears to be corrupted. Data read from media appears to be corrupted."

As you can see, the backup job number is stated at the end. You can choose to either prune the job or have it excluded from the copy.

--
huddie

"Keep a cool head and always carry a lightbulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back