Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Autoupdate - UNC vs. FTP from internal mirror site

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwacks

MIS
Oct 14, 2002
US
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I appreciate the quality answers that are contained in these threads. Thank you.

Our environment is NetShield 4.5 SP1 (50 NT/W2K servers), VScan 4.5.1 SP1 (500 clients) and I am currently implementing ePolicy. I have an internal FTP server that I mirror the McAfee updates to on a nightly basis (W2K FTP server).

When configuring the AutoUpdate/Upgrade task for both NS and VScan, you can obviously use UNC or FTP connection type. The problem I have with UNC is that my clients are set up with the SYSTEM account for the services and the update fails when they are in scheduled mode. I know this can be changed, but that would be some work.

The FTP connection would be easier to administer, but I am concerned about the performance and stability of so many connections hitting the FTP server.

Does anyone have experience on UNC vs. FTP for performance, stability and ease of admin. during the AutoUpdate process ?

Thanks.

I prefer using an FTP server since I can set the correct login account, regardless of whether I have a SystemAccount running the service.

HTH, AVChap
... take my advice, I don't use it anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back