Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AutoUpdate Architect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beard36

Programmer
Sep 4, 2003
GB
I'm trying to set up AutoUpdate Architect in a very simple manner for a small network (25 computers).

There is one Master Repository (a share on the server) and each computer will be set up to download from this each week or so.

I've got it set up with only one Source Repository - NAIHttp with standard settings. When I look at the Source Repository through the "folder list"-esque interface in the left hand pane, NAIHttp shows the current DAT and engine versions available. However, when I try to "Pull Now" to check it's working Ok, I get the error "Failed to download file : -601".

This is the first time I've used this software and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong / not doing.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Dan.

I "enjoyed" this problem a few times. Sometimes I could shut down AUA and restart, once in a great while I had to reboot.

Since I've switched to EPO3.0.1 and now "enjoy" a whole new set of problems. At least this isn't one of them.

But you never found a satisfactory answer as to what was causing the problem?

I never found a satisfactory solution where I could click and run at will. The problem appeared to show up after a couple of days.

I had several problems with MAA1.00.

1) The scheduler did not work. I was told that was a known problem and would be fixed in 1.1.

2) You couldn't do an incremental update to remote repositories. It had to be full replication.

I had loaded the beta version MAA1.1 because it was supposed to fix a ton of problems. It did fix the incremental problem.

I didn't get a chance to do much evaluation because the hard-drive went out on the ePO server. I took that opportunity to upgrade from Windows-NT to Windows 2000 Server. I also upgrade to ePO 3.0 and now 3.0.1.

I don't think McAfee is much interested in supporting MAA because it's been incorporated into ePO 3.0. It's got some of the same problems there but I haven't had any problem with a manual pull.

Had this same problem and after beating my head against this for an hour, I made a change to the cfg of the master, undid the change and (this is important) clicke the 'Apply' button....problem went away. What's causing this? Not sure but just prior to this cropping up I upgraded the machine from 4.5.1 to 7.0???

Cheers for the input. Still not sorted this out yet, but I'm corresponding with someone at Network Associates Technical Support who's throwing a few ideas at me. If I manage to get this sorted satisfactorily I'll leave the solution here (wishful thinking!).

You got the error -601 because the download path in the pull task is not correct.

this one is working

download.nai.com/products/commonupdater

Fabio

The download path that you've mentioned is exactly the same as the one that I'm trying to use. I've talked to one of the support staff at Network Associates who thinks that the problem might be related to my proxy settings. However, I've selected the "use the same proxy settings as Internet Explorer", which works fine, and I don't understand why I can see that the download path contains the latest versions but that I can't actually download from it.

I'm still clueless on this issue..

A bit old thread, but I am curious if you ever found the answer on that 601 error.
My autoupdatearchitect just stopped doing its pulltasks since 2 weeks after working correctly for many months. I really do not know what I have changed on my server (i do change a lot), but certainly no settings of mcafee products, internet explorer settings or whatsoever. If I do an update directly from the VS7.0 it works fine, so there are no no firewall issues (anyway, nothing has changed there)

paul

I'm afraid we never did come up with an answer to this. We have a technical maintenance company which help us out with some IT issues but they were unable to come up with any answers.

Unfortunately this AutoUpdate issue has been put on the back burner for now whilst we deal with other things.

Sorry I couldn't tell you anything more helpful!

Dan.

Thanks,

Any McAfee technician looking here this last day of the year? I have checked about anything (but removing and reinstalling autoupdate), especially authentication and permissions. All is oke and sites are verified.

McAfee knowledgebase gives one reference, if your behind an ISA server: an authentication matter. Not the case here (behind a (nat) dsl router).

I think this is a serious issue, while you should be able to have confidence in an automated pull-task, not having to check it everytime.

paul

I had the same problem,
then I deinstalled Internet Explorer 6 and installed the newest version of Opera.. and it works!

It seems logical that is some issue with IE, your action proves that. But it is absolutely unacceptable those workarounds in a production environment.

But I do have the feeling that this is one of those totally unexplainable bugs, that even the mcafee technicians try to ignore as much as possible.

tnxs

I had a -601 error
it was because i use the bad login/password the pass through our proxy server, so MAA cannot connect NAI Site.

It was resolved by typing the right l/p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back