Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Autotext issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajgeo

Technical User
Feb 8, 2008
A co-worker has written a report in Word 2000 using an older report as a template. The report contained an autotext entry of the filename and path. The new report was written by changing terms and values where needed, adding lots of new text and saved as a different document, but the autotext values remained unchanged when the file was reopened. This behavior continued even when the auto text was deleted and replaced. Then recently, the file would not open unless the old file was in the same directory as the new file. When it did open, the text of the new document reverted back to the original document. It seems like the new report has some sort of unbreakable link to the original document. Are all the changes lost? We tried using the backup files and they are behaving the same way. What is going on? Any help would be appreciated, the new report was a lot of work.

Is there any vba in the word document?

If you are not familiar with VBA Hit alt+f11. And on the left side click on project (filename) then click on this document

Report back an code that you see.

ck1999

as a template"

Those words, that phrase, makes me shudder some times.

What, exactly, does that mean? Are you, or are you not, using a template (.DOT) file? The difference - you are/you are not - is...ummm, rather crucial.

If NOT, and this is a document, then what, exactly IS being used for a template file? Every Word document has a template file. AutoText are stored by default in normal.dot. If yes - you ARE using an explicit template (i.e. not normal.dot) - does THAT template have the AutoText...or not?

faq219-2884

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back