Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AutoScrolling Text Box Implementation

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJhereg

Programmer
Nov 12, 2001
US
Hey all,

I have a text box that scrolls upward by itself. I'm using the _y property of a movie that contains a text box and just moving up. The scrolling has to pause on mouseover, resume on mouseout, and the user should be able to drag the text up and down to scroll the infomation themselves.

This much I've built. However, I want to dynamically generate the text on the server, and this method isn't compatable with that, simply because the scroll function must know the height of the textarea to know when to stop, start the text over, and to restrict the drag region.

Also, the dynamic text box does not have the ability to grow when I load new text. It clips the contents. unless I'm missing something....

What I'm looking for is a way to dynamically load the text this from a text/HTML file and still maintain this functionality.

No need to build it for me, or anything that complex, just help with overcoming this design fault. The Jhereg
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
I never lie.
I'm building a reputation for honesty so I can blow it when something big comes along... This ain't it.

So you're not scrolling the textbox itself, but the movie clip holding it, right?
Loading a longer text in a textbox is no problem but don't think you can dynimically change the size of the textbox. You probably could with MX when using the textfield object, but I don't think it's possible in Flash 5.

A possible workaround might be, if it's possible to generate a dynamic movie clip with the text not in a textbox but static, and then pass on other variables at the same time, regarding lenght of text & al. Just a wild thought, and I would have to test this out!

Regards,
new.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back