Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Autosave with Microsoft Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewMozley

Programmer
Oct 15, 2005
GB
I am using Office 365 including the use of OneDrive.

When I am editing a Word document and click on File, the menu on the left offers Save and Save As. And if I close the document (X in top right), it will ask me whether I want to Save the document. This happens with most of my documents.

But with one file – say Hismemoir.docx, these options are not offered. Instead, the menu bar just shows Save a copy.

While working on this document, I have tried to investigate. I have gone into File | Options | Save. The ‘Autosave files stored in the cloud by default’ is not ticked. But I suspect that my changes are being saved while I am editing; I would prefer not to have that happening, so that I can abandon the edit if I have made some stupid mistakes.

How can I get this document to work like my other documents, in particular offering me the Save option when I click on File

A wild guess here - is the name of the file [tt]Hismemoir.doc[red]m[/red][/tt] (Macro-Enabled document) by any chance?
With some 'lurking' macros...

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

This is exactly the behaviour you would expect if the document is flagged as read-only. This can happen if you download the doc from a website or receive it as an email attachment. You might be able to check this from File / Info / Permissions, or from the file properties within Windows.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back