Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AUTORUN PDF FILES FROM CD's 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jus

Technical User
Jan 5, 2001
GB
Hi,

I'm looking for some information with regard to distributing files on CD's. I have sussed out how to get it to run a PDF file providing the host computer has Acrobat reader installed to launch the file.

What I'm after is a routine that tries to launch the PDF file and if Acrobat is NOT installed it will prompt, * Do you wish to install Acrobat Reader * etc....

Any information, links etc gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Jus: I'm trying to do the same thing. Can you let me know if you find out how to do this??

awic0@hotmail.com

PS I do know how to set up the autorun and icon so that the folder the pdf is in will automatically pop up when placed in disk drive. Insert a autorun.inf file with the following text:

[AutoRun]
ICON=jc.ico

where jc represents your icon

Ok folks two ways.

1) If the user already has Acrobat Reader Installed then in your autorun file.

[autorun]
ICON=LOGO.ICO
OPEN=Path\StartinPDFfile.PDF

This will fail if they do not have acrobat installed as PDF is not associated with the Reader.

FoolProof method (I'm working with Acrobat3)
1) In your acrobat folder on your hard drive copy the entire reader folder (and all it's subs) to the CDROM
2) Create your autorun.inf text file and copy it to the root directory of the CDROM
[autorun]
ICON=LOGO.ICO
OPEN=AUTO.BAT

3) Create a batch file called auto.bat It needs a single command line.
reader\acrord32.exe document\main.pdf
This tells Windows to run acrobat reader from the CDROM and open the PDF file.
4) Next create a PIF(shortcut) file for you auto.bat file that surpresses the DOS window that will appear.

Now your cd's directory looks something like this
d:AUTO.BAT
AUTO.PIF {you can make hidden)
ICON.ICO
AUTORUN.INF
[READER] folder
[DOCUMENT] folder

Enjoy!

-Pete

PS: Blind pete
In the first example, what should be used for a path letter; if I sent this disk to someone with multiple drives. Each would have it's own letter. Is there a universal code that will open the document regardless of drive letters?

[autorun]
ICON=LOGO.ICO
OPEN=(C, D,E,F,G,???)\StartinPDFfile.PDF

No drive Letter... It assumes the same drive as AUTORUN.INF is located at.

For example say you had D:\Document\Splash.PDF
the D:\Autorun.inf would be
OPEN = \Document\Splash.PDF

I always use the 2nd full proof method. It's a pain the first time. After that you just move your new PDF documents and update the start name in the auto.bat file.

To each his own.
-Pete

Hi,

How to go about it if the PDF file is password protected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back