Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Autoplay problems 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

EGLF24

Technical User
Feb 23, 2004
GB
Whilst a lot of people have problems with autoplay not, working at all, I've got the opposite problem - the autoplay window opens on my machine around once every minute!! It's driving me nuts and it keeps interfering with whatever I'm trying to do (play games, browse the web etc).

1) How do I find out why the autoplay window keeps opening?
2) How do I stop it happening?

Thanks for your help.

Neil

Neil,

Check in My Computer, right-click your CD Drive, properties, autoplay tab, and double check the settings in there to see if something doesn't look right. Apply for each "content type."

You can also delay the autoplay when you insert your CD, by pressing shift down while you insert it and hold it.

Here is a good link:

Hope it fixes it,

My thought would be to check the root directory of all hard disk drives.

It is likely you have an autorun.inf or similar autorun trigger file located at the root of your hard disks.

Thanks for the advice guys. I have now discovered what's causing the problem - although not WHY it's causing a problem. A week or so ago I installed a 7-in-1 card reader on my PC and it appears to be this that's causing the autoplay search window to pop-up. If I unplug the reader the problem stops.

The strange thing is though, is that this happens even when there are no cards in the reader!? If I open My Computer when the card reader is plugged in, the removable drives that exist for each card type (Smart Media, Compact Flash etc), appear and then disappear again while I sit and watch!!! For example: the Smart Media removable drive appears (with a drive letter), then the Compact Flash removable drive appears, then the Memory Stick removable drive appears etc. Then weird things start happening - one by one each drive will then disappear and then reappear again in sequence!! All this happens without me touching the card reader or it's USB cable and without any cards inserted. Other than this the reader works fine as soon as I insert a card of any type.

I have to admit that I've never seen anything like this and it's got me completely baffled. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

Neil

Thanks very much Dave. I'll give it a try later and will let you know how I get on.

Neil

No joy with the Autoplay Repair Wizard unfortunately. I guess the problem is with the card reader and not with my PC. I'll just have to get used to unplugging the reader when I'm not using it. Thanks for all the suggestions anyway.

Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back