Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Autonumbers - multiuser application

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOR

Technical User
Jan 30, 2002
GB
I was doing a search for something else and came across a thread in which it stated its unwise to use Autonumbers in a multiuser environment. If thats the case then I have been wasting my time on what I'm doing now. I would think 5-10 users may be using the database, I intend to split it with front/back ends. I know there can be problems with many users, but I thought I could get away with the standard Autonumber/Foreign key arrangement on tables. Can someone tell me the good/bad news on this. Thanks

I think the threads you read were talking about when people make up their own auto-numbering system. The built-in autonumbering works well with multi-users, I've used it in many applications and have never had a duplicate.

The problem many people have when they make their own autonumbering is that they will take the current largest number and add one for their new ID - but then they don't save it right away. So in the meantime, somebody else could also start a new record and get the same ID. The person who saves first is OK, but the second person who tries to save gets an error.

This is not a problem with the built-in autonumber, because Access "uses up" that number as soon as somebody starts a new record. Even if the user cancels the new record, that number does not go back into the pool.

Many thanks. I will try and find where I read it, it was a Tek-Tips thread regarding not to use Autonumbers I thought, and suggested a way to create a numbering system in a seperate table. Will get back after searching. Thanks for the confidence building re using whats there.

Autonumbers have been shown to be corruptable in multiuser systems. There is a FAQ regarding this. Most "Multiuser" systems do not encounter a problem because the (multi)-users are not actively entering data. Ms. may have corrected the problem, as the faq is from several years back, but was based on experience and a fair amonut of or contrived testing. I used three "users" attempting to enter data at as near simultaneously as possible. In that scenario, there was approx a 20% chance that the system would create problems. The most typical was to have the db 'crash' and need ye olde compact and repair remedy, Other unkind events also occured.

MichaelRed

ZOR,

I have a db with the front/back split like you say you will do, I have been using it for 5 years with anywhere from 10 - 20 users and have no issues with the autonumbers.

Well, I can think of at least a dozen applications I've worked with that have at least 5 users editing or adding data at the same time (at least during the busier times of the day). These were systems like point-of-sales, inventory tracking, appointment scheduling. They were not used for intensive data entry, i.e. all users dedicated to adding new records all the time. So maybe there's a problem with that type of application that I'm not aware of. I'd be interested in seeing any articles on this subject.

Every once in a while I've had to fix a corrupted application. I've never had reason to point at autonumbering as the culprit (I'll admit though that usually I never find a cause - it's Access after all and anyone who's worked a lot with it knows it's not 100% reliable).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back