Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

autonumber error for 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrappe7

Technical User
Jul 30, 2001
US
i am having a problem witht he autonumber feature in access2000. i had a DB created in 97 that imported an xls file. the first column of that xls file would be left blank. on import access would asign that blank field an autonumber. thus it was also our primary key (not really relevant though).

however in access we are having an autonumber problem. i can not see any differences in the commands of the autonumber field but no autonumber is being assigned to the newly imported data. i have created simple test databases with 2 columns. one is ID# and the other NAME. in excel i leave ID# blank and then enter 5 names in the NAME field. I then import this file into access where the ID field properyty is an autonumber and the NAME is considerede text.

the import produces an error table saying "null value in auto-number field". but if i want access to assign the autonumber itself why wouldn't it be null in excel??? do i have to set a property somewhere for this? it will still do the import to the correct tale just fine except that the ID field remains blank, so only the NAME column has data.

If i open the table and try to add a new row of data manually, then the autonumber populates itself. however it always starts out at 453054332. it wont even start at 1.

so my questions are how can i make the autonumber feature apply to imported data? and how can i start the autonumber to begin at 1 and increment correctly? try it yourself and see if an imported excel file will get autonumbers geenerated for it. what good is an autonumber if it doesnt populate. the troubles of access 2000 continue for me. thans alot everyone, this site is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back