Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

AutoNumber Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 14, 2002
US
Hello everybody,

It was just discovered that in my client's Access database there are two tables in each user's front-end that are NOT linked to the back-end like they ought to be, so each user's data for these two tables are being stored locally. This is an accident, and I need to somehow consolidate all this data back into the back-end. The problem is that, first, the primary key is an autonumber for each table and, second, the tables are related via an autonumber, so I cannot do a simple import since I am dealing with duplicate autonumbers. Is there a "clean" way of handling this or am I basically screwed here?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Try using a combined primary key
import each of the users tables in turn and add a new field and update this to the user iD that you imported from then use a combination on the primary key and user id

"My God! It's full of stars...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back