Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automation Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saul775

Programmer
Aug 9, 2004
US
Hello:

I was trying to obtain some information from a control on a custom application. It seemed like I could GetWindowText(...) on the window, but it returned "". After using Spy++, I determined that the control was actually using WM_PAINT to display the information I needed. I contacted the authors of the software, and here's how they instructed me to obtain the information I need...

"... I suggest using the ActiveX (Automation Server) interface."

I've been searching Google for how to accomplish this; however, I've been unsuccessful. Does anyone know how to create an "ActiveX (Automation Server)?" If possible, can I do this NOT using MFC? Also, any advice on how to accomplish this or specific websites would be much appreciated. I thank all of you in advance for your assistance. Thank you.

Saul775

Saul775,

The ActiveX Automation interface that the control author is talking about is simply a defined way of communicating between applications and controls sometimes written in different programming languages such as VB and C++.

An Automation interface specifys only certain types can be used as function parameters and return types whereas a standard custom interface that you would write in C++ could have any type as a function parameter or return value.

To Quote:
An Automation Server is an application that contains one or more IDispatch-based interfaces. An interface is a collection of related methods and properties and an IDispatch interface is the name of the COM interface that is used to generically invoke those methods and properties

You can create an ActiveX Automation Server if thats what you want to do by using MFC or ATL using the wizards.

I am not quite sure what you are trying to do but if you are just trying to use the control then you just add it to your project through the components and controls gallery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back