Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automation of report conversion in Cognos8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim86

MIS
Jan 19, 2010
US
In a few months, our company will be making some major changes to some packages we publish from Cognos Framework Manager 8.2. This will cause a large number of reports to need updating in Report Studio and Query Studio. We intend to have the old packages and new packages available concurrently for the users, so they have time to convert their reports over to the new packages.
Are there any tools/utilities available from Cognos to semi-automate this task? The majority of the changes will involve linking the reports to a different package, and then reassigning many of the query data items from an outdated query subject to the new query subject. Most, if not all, of these reassignments will have a 1-to-1 mapping from old to new. So my gut tells me there should be a way to automate these report conversions. Any suggestions???

Also, is there a way to locate the report specs in the content store and modify them with a script or utility, without even opening them up one-at-a-time?

If your company has a license for the Cognos 8 SDK (Software Development Kit) this task could be done automatically.
If you have a SDK license or willing to purchase one, we can go into the details.

You can use the SDK to query the existing report specifications, modify them and store them back. So without knowing any details I guess that should be possible using the SDK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back