Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automating Process with Perl

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimHover

Programmer
Nov 16, 2010
GB
I want to try to automate a process using Perl. At the moment, there is a web page which has got a text file as an attachment. Currently I open up the web page, save the attachment and then FTP it to a unix box. I then log onto another unix machine and navigate to a perl script called MarginReport.pl. Finally I run the perl script passing the saved text file as its only argument, i.e. MarginReport.pl new_margins.txt. This is a very manual process and I want to try to automate it using Perl. The existing perl script just opens the text file, does some formatting and then runs a stored procedure to insert the data into a database table. The web site is an online incident management ticketing system which has got a unique reference number on each web page.
How can the above manual process be more automated?

All of this can be automated. If you want to break this down into a project, you have described the requirements and can buid/test at each stage.

Sounds to me that you can schedule your Perl program under cron to run every 10-15 minutes. If the the data file does not exist, the simply program exits. Otherwise the program processes the file, and perhaps logs the event or sends an email.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back