Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automating Orders via our phone system 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NX01

MIS
Apr 21, 2004
US
Is there an animal(phone system) out there that will allow customers to call in, enter their account number > part number to place orders? There is a central database for pulling from. Would it be as simple as IVR system or ??? What are the $$$ we are looking at?

In the future everything will work...

Sounds like a IVR would do it for U. Go to a few Ivr providers and ask for a estimate. Do Avaya last and tell them who U have talked to before. AVaya has a great database that points out why their systems are better. Then come back here to the pbx dedicated site and ask your questions again to see what we don't agree with the 'salespeople'.

Da-vi'do Juan-is'imo
P.S. For the best response to a question, read FAQ222-2244. Also give the type & version of your voice mail & pbx & preview your post to make sure it is complete & understandable. Please answer all questions so that I may have the info to assist you. Leaving a post on how you fixed the problem will also be appreciated.

You should know by now I don't like salespeople...even worse AVAYA sales people. Thats again orypecos...

In the future everything will work...

I too hate most salespeople, but they can be of use if you have the gumption to interrupt their diatrabes and get them back on track. If they don't listen, throw them out in the street.

When you set up a sales meeting, request a sales engineer attend. This msy not happen, but it will set the stage for requiring a sales engineer at the demo. Have a demo that shows you the system in place and working with a database.
I have seen the Avaya IP Office do just what you are talking about. It is not a stretch in any way for the IPO, but a common place application. I would not expect anyone to really enjoy sales people, but it is a neccesary evil.
Pricing is always a competitive thing, but remember, if you have a low bidder, they know what their service is worth. Find a providor that does not attempt, need, or want to be the low bidder. They have a different motivation behind their work, and it is not getting the project "complete" with the least investment of their resources. That is restricted to those of the low bidder ilk.

You do not always get what you pay for, but you never get what you do not pay for.

i agree with sales, look for after market software that ties to an analog port. then have that interfaced with the phone system.. paraphonics is the name that comes to mind, they have been doing ivr longer then most. any good programer could write the code, it's not that bad. almost all the banks that have dial up transaction data base use paraphonics, so you've more then likely been stuck in that box a few times.. good software allows a caller to press 0 at anytime to either talk to someone or at least leave a msg. i work on mostly nortel, but have done almost all large systems.. the system is less of a factor then the ivr itself, any system that has analog or line side t1 interface will marry to a ivr. line side t1 is for 24 channels digital, as opposed to analog. smaller systems usually use the analog style due to cost and traffic limits.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

The Avaya IP Office has IVR designed an made specificaly to work with the IPO. It works great, and is easy to install, and configure. It also avoids having a multi source solution with systems designed to integrate with all systems adequately, and none by core design. One solution providor, one tech, one system, one manufacturer, one finger to point when there is an issue or a question, and no one else for them to point a finger at.
I would not suggest going with an after market, second party, cookie cutter solution without checking out a single source designed together solution as well. Whether that is Avaya, or not, look for a single party solution providor. At least, one company that installs, services, supports, and sells the entire package, if not from the same manufacturer.

You do not always get what you pay for, but you never get what you do not pay for.

IVR Boxes are pretty much the same they will work with any communication system. What you are looking for is a software vendor that can customize a solution for you. I suggest you contact Chris Herring at Computer Instruments, Overland Park, Kansas. He is not the salesman type, worked with him when I was with Lucent.

40 years in the business and counting.

I am not against checking out all your options for IVR, in fact, I say do so. I will say, not all IVR solutions are the same, nor do they all have the same capabilities, or ease of use, set up, and user administration ease.

I will say, it seems a bit common sense that a phone system, and IVR developed by the same company, as part of the same system platform is going to have some advantages over just picking one off the shelf. Also, when it comes to support, there is no ability to point fingers at the other tech, product, or local company servicing the product, or products. It is one product, one manufacturer, one tech, one local service providor company. With experience based on your platform specifically. After considering those tings, the playing field is pretty much equal in other regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back