Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automating a Telnet Script

Status
Not open for further replies.

kphu

MIS
May 30, 2002
US
Hi All,

I know nothing about unix and currently working on a project to automate a series of inputs to run a report on a unix machine.

Currently in order for us to run a report we have to telnet into a unix server and enter in the parameters.

I thought this wouldn't be too complicated as I had created a batch (bat) file for ftp, which retrieve files from the unix machine. At first I thought doing one for telnet would be the same. Unfortunately, I ran into a brick wall.

The brick wall I ran into is that with ftp their is a command option -s that allows you to run a script using a simple text file. Apparently that is not an option (at least from what I know) for telnet.

So far I have created a batch (bat) file that opens a telnet connection but it stops at the user name/login prompt. Although I have all of the information in the bat file it doesn't execute.

All of our workstations are microsoft base and the report server is UNIX.

Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Ken

browsing through the most recent postings in this forum would have resulted in: thread822-933650

vlad
+----------------------------+
| #include<disclaimer.h> |
+----------------------------+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back