Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automating a Telnet Connection to the Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

chva

MIS
Nov 9, 2003
US
I would like to download certain logs from my routers and switches. 4908 and 3548's. The thing is, I would like to download these logs in a comma delimited text file so I may create a daily report of previous days activities. I need to down load these logs automatically a certain intervals.

I tried this with a batch file, but cannot get past the log in screen of Telnet.

If there is an easier way to do this, please advise.

We are a non-profit children's hospital, so I can't purchase the $10,000 programs to do this.

Thanks,

chva,
Rather than telnetting into the router/switch to retrieve the logs, it would be easier to setup a syslog server and have the router automatically log events to the syslog server. The file on the syslog can be view and saved as a CSV file as required. Check out
There are other syslog services out there which may also provide the same functionality (do a search on google).

JimmyZ

This solution help me! Thank you.

Have Great 'n' Wonderful Day ...

Thanks & Regards,
Sankar.

you can also use expect/tcl scripts to automate this process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back