Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatically Update Linked Tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

WANguy2k

MIS
Feb 25, 2002
US
I'm trying to set up an automated procedure that runs a Crystal report against an Access database. The tables in Access are ODBC linked to an AS400 database. I need the linked tables to refresh when Access opens the database. Is there a script, macro, or command line option I can use to do this? Thanks.

I created an MDB linking to some tables on an AS400. I thought the data was stored in the MDB and needed to be refresed by updating them using the linked table manager. No?

No

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

OK. I figure this out: I couldn't understand how a 1/2 gig database could be "live" constantly and didn't need to be refreshed.

So I ran a query, changed a record in the database, ran the query again and the data was updated. I was surprised.

What happened was when I originally created the database I had imported the data, then ended up doing some research and creating linked tables instead and deleting the original tables.

I did a compact and repair and now the MDB file is small.

One thing I don't understand is why running a Crystal Report against an AS400 database is slow, but running the same Crystal Report against Access tables that are linked to the same AS400 database is lightning fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back