Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatically filling in a form - VFP6 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaz

MIS
Aug 16, 1999
US
I have several forms that I would like to use in a demonstration. I would like to be able to have information displayed on the screen demonstrating to the user the flow of certain events.

For example, display a form and after a set time, have the form begin filling itself out for the user.

Anyone have any ideas on the best way to do this in VFP6?

HI
I can suggest introduction of a timer event.. and in the timer.. keep putting code with keyboard macros

for example..
Add a form property nLevel and intialise it to 0

In the timer event, put the code..
WITH ThisForm
.nLevel = .nLevel+1
IF .nLevel = 1
KEYBOARD '{Cust_code}'
ENDIF
IF .nLevel = 2
KEYBOARD '{Cust_name}'
ENDIF
IF .nLevel = 3
KEYBOARD '{Cust_add1}'
ENDIF
IF .nLevel = 4
KEYBOARD '{Cust_add2}'
ENDIF
IF .nLevel = 5
KEYBOARD '{Cust_add3}'
ENDIF
IF .nLevel = 6
KEYBOARD '{Cust_city}'
ENDIF

ENDWITH

Now given the idea, you can create a demo table with one field.. containing the sequential keyboard input needed.
Prepare it with all the demo values for each level.. and keep looping thru it in the above to match nLevel with record number and inputing the contents of the field
to the keyboard. In that way, you can create a long demo quite easily.

WITH ThisForm
.nLevel = .nLevel+1
GO .nLevel IN myDemoValueTable
KEYBOARD '{&myValueField}'
ENDWITH

The timer event should be fixed suitably. Or you can go a step further and include another field for the timer interval, and set that also along with keyboard value.

Now imagination is your limit..
:)

ramani :)
(Subramanian.G)

Another option is to use a Screen Video Capture application (plenty of them out on the web for download - both freeware and sharware) and create an AVI, MOV, Etc. movie file. Then you could record yourself using the application in real time. Most of them come with players that can be compiled in to an exe that can be played from a CD or the user's harddrive regardless of whether they have a media player installed, and you could certainly include the movie on a website or in your HTML help file. It's what I have found works the best with my applications.

Slighthaze = NULL

[ul][li]FAQ184-2483
An excellent guide to getting a fast and accurate response to your questions in this forum.[/li][/ul]

Thanks for your suggestions. Just what I needed to re-boot my thought process! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back