Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatically Create VBA Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubbsy123

Programmer
Dec 2, 2004
AU
Hi,

I've been using some code to dynamically create a button in an excel worksheet based on the output of a case statement.

The code is as follows:
Code:
Sheet1.OLEObjects.Add ClassType:="Forms.CommandButton.1", Left:=0, Top:=0, Width:=126.75, Height:=25.5
Sheet1.Shapes(Sheet1.Shapes.Count).OLEFormat.Object.Object.Caption = "Click Me"

Is it possible to automatically write the on_click code for the button at the time of the buttons creation?

The code I will be using is:
Code:
Private Sub btnNext_Click()
    Call Macro1
End Sub

Any help would be greatly received.

Regards

tubbsy123

While the end result of what you need is rather different some of the basic techniques are demonstrated in thread707-1587091

Hi,

Is there a finite number of controls that can be pre-defined by the requirements?

It is possible to minimize the number of control on a sheet by making ONE control of a type and hiding or displaying in context with the user's range selection on the sheet. This is especially applicable to ComboBox controls, where in column A the control list might be a vendor id and in column B the control list might be an area id, based on the selection in a for that row.

Another way of approching sheet control objects: Make ALL the controls and hide them until needed, rather than create/delete on the fly.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

I have to agree with Skip. It is MUCH mo repreferable to have all yuor controls in place. If you need to not visible, then have them not visible. This is a single instruction and easily used. I have seen very very few cases where creating controls dynamically was really required.

If you really realy have to ( and I doubt this), yes you can write to VBA using VBA. Writinf line by line works, but an alternative is to have the procedure - your _Click event - already written, and simply import it.

Gerry

I just want to point out that tyhe code at that link has a surprisingly fatal error. I.e. it will not do anything because the code for the Click event Sub is:
Code:
Sub ButtonTest_Click()
and the button actual name is:
Code:
Obj.Name = "TestButton"
A surprising error IMO.

Clicking the button will NEVER fire Sub ButtonTest_Click.

Gerry

If for any reason you still need to create controls on the worksheet in the fly, I recommend having all the code ready and using old form controls:
Code:
Sub CreateFormsButton()
With ActiveSheet.Buttons.Add(364.5, 68.25, 96.75, 21.75)
    .Name = "TestButton"
    .OnAction = "Test"
    .Caption = "Click me"
End With
End Sub

Sub Test()
MsgBox "Fired!"
End Sub
You can find them in the object browser after displaying hidden members.

The advantages:
- no dynamic code,
- more worksheet friendly controls,
- [tt]Application.Caller[/tt] returns the name of the control, so one procedure can easily handle multiple controls.

combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back