Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatically controlling an application - URGENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khold

MIS
Jun 22, 2008
GB
Hi everyone,

I have a fairly broad question which I am not sure belongs here, so pardon me if I've put it in the wrong forum.

I have a requirement for running a program (specifically, it is FreeMind, an open-source mind map creation software written in Java) automatically at regular intervals.

I am actually trying to import a folder structure located in a fixed location at regular intervals of time.

In the program, this would involve going to the File > Import > Folder Structure option in the main menu, and then entering a folder name in the dialog box that appears (a standard file chooser dialog). After the importing is completed, I need to save the file using the File > Save As.. option into a predetermined location.

I need to do all this automatically using some sort of script or job that runs on a server containing the folder structure that I want to import.

I have never done this kind of programming before, so what is the quickest and most hassle-free way to achieve this? I'm on Windows and this script that I write will reside within a web application that uses Tomcat as its application server.

I am also open to using software to achieve the above sequence of steps automatically, but I would prefer it to be freeware since there is hardly a budget to this project and I am due for delivery soon as far as the schedule is concerned (which means it will be difficult for me to cut through the red-tape and get the go ahead from my the clients for any investment that is required to achieve this functionality).

Thanks a bunch as always.

According to your requirements, your programs should be able to
accept input from 2 ways.

1) User trigger: After user has use GUI to import something, your program will do the processing.

2) Time trigger: You Java application may use Java Thread to read the input from a folder periodically. You may use java.util.Timer and java.util.TimerTask too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back