Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatically add fields to a backend file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tfrank

Technical User
Jun 19, 2001
US
I have a MS Access 97 database running on many different machines each with there own set of unique data. The data base has a frontend and backend file. I have made many enhancements to the software including adding new fields in the backend file. I would like to be able to upgrade the users databases where they do not have to re-enter any of there data. Either I have to move their data into the new backend file or modify their backend file for the new fields. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated on how to achieve this task. I am not a VB programmer, but I can modify code.

Thanks for the help,
Tfrank

You could write an upgrade routine which would have links to both the old and new local Backends. Then you could append from the old to the new using queries in macros. You may also need two VBA commands, Kill and Name. Alternately you could learn to write code and add missing fields programmatically. Or you could look for a third party tool. Unfortunately I do not rememer any URL's to point you in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back