Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic Windows update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaz1000

Technical User
May 28, 2003
GB
Does any know know of a script that when I run it - it will allow windows updates to run automatically and download any patches required then automatically reboot?

Uh yes, this is acalled Win2K SP4 and WinXP SP1.

Both add the feature to allow scheduled automatic downloads at a specified time.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

What I'm looking is a VBScript - that after I deploy unattended installations of Win2k and Office2k - I can run this script which automatically downloads & installs all required service packs and updates without any user interaction.

if you are using an unattened.txt file there is an entry which enables you to run a script after the installation.
that way you can configure the script to install office, outlook, any other application or patch that you can think of or the user has selected before starting the unattended installation. i.e. the user has a dos util to pick what applications should be installed on the OS, at the end of the OS install the script spec'd in the unattended.txt file runs and checks what 'tasks' need to be run, i guess one of these can be running the autoupdate from MS,,,thats if you trust them!!!

Hi Gaz1000, have you looked at creatiung your own MSI file with all of the patches you have approved?

You can then deploy that via AD Group Policy and avoid a bunch of new clients going out over the WAN to pull down the same stuff.

Take a look at MSKB 257718 at

Regards,

Mark

hmm msi and GP is an interesting way of deploying apps and i have to say i think i prefer it to SMS.

you will still need a hook somewhere to put the machine account, or user account, into the right AD OU so that the machine gets the appropriate msi package deployed. this could still be in the unattended.txt file. only down side i see about associating software install at build time with GP and OU is that you need a way of associating software installation choices with OU membership.
so, thats one more thing to maintain.

i.e.
b4 the machine is built, engineer or user can select what software they want to install, pdf, siebel, office etc. the 'script' then has to reference something to know what OU to put the machine/user in.

Hi MrMovie,

Actually you have some choices for the way the GP will push it down. It can be done using Computer or User configuration. So, the policy could be put in place to install the packages on the Computer rather than being user based. A machine will only install the software if it is not already installed. So you could just leave the policy in place and when a new machine comes online it sees the policy and gets the updates.

Using the Computer Based install it will push down the install when the computer comes online. Using a user based install it will install whenthe user logs in.

I happened to just be owrking on this today to push out Outlook with patches and to configure the user ID and Exchange Server info without having to have the user set it up. I created a How To Doc on it which I will post as an FAQ soon after I let it sit for a day and re-read it to make sure all is right with the procedures.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back