Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic Vista user logoff with inactivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vol4Ever

Technical User
Jan 26, 2002
I did a search of the forums, but didn't turn up any relevant threads. I have a Vista PC where I want the user account to be automatically logged off after say 15 minutes of inactivity. Seems like this would be a common requirement that would be built into the OS, but no luck so far finding out how. Only workaround I have found is to enable a screensaver & require the user to enter a password on "wake up". This doesn't, however, truly logoff the account. My main goal is to confirm how much time the various accounts are actively using the PC. The Parental Controls feature helps, but you can't see login/logoff times since the account always stays logged in. Big Brother is watching! :)

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

Take a look at this APP:

LogonExpert

LogonExpert Features

Delayed or scheduled logon and scheduled logoff
Configure a simple pre-logon delay, or set up an advanced configuration with the built-in scheduler.

or have a read:

Need 'auto-logoff' app. for Vista

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I searched through some of the recommended threads, but still didn't land on the magic answer. Hard to imagine there's not a tiny freebie app out there to do this. I'll never understand why this functionality isn't built into Windows to start with.

Some of the posted methods would logoff "x seconds total after logon", but not "x seconds after inactivity".

*sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back