Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic uploading and embedding of media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tules

Programmer
Aug 31, 2008
GB
here's a quation for you, would it be feasable to run a multimedia site where you take the users videos, store it in a temp folder, then a script automaticaly uploads that to a video site like youtube or vimeo and then embedds it into the users page, all the benefits of multimedia, none of the storage or bandwidth costs associated. If indeed this were possible how far do you think you could scale an opperation like this? Would there be any legal issues? What if you wanted to then sell said media?

Why bother? You can embed YouTube videos easily enough, so surely you'd be spending time re-creating what is already on offer?

Dan

Coedit Limited - Delivering standards compliant, accessible web solutions

Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch:
Code Couch Tech Snippets & Info:

Dan

I think you have missunderstood what I mean, not a script for personal use, I mean I have my own multimedia social networking site with multiple users all uploading videos(or whatever) and I create an automated system whereby it uploads all the content I receive to an external site and then embeds it back into my site without the user knowing. Basicaly it would save on bandwidth and storage space. The difference between what im talking about and what u seem to be talking about is that I want it to automaticaly upload and then embed for possibly 1000s of users on my site

It is possible but what happens when a link becomes unavailable on the host website. You are left with dead links on your site which is not good.
Why embed them, you could just as easily create a database of links to these items. It would be easier to regularly check that these links actually exist.

Keith

It's just far more appealing to have videos on your pages than hyperlinks to videos, you could still check the videos exist, I dont think it would be too much of a chew, u'd only have to create the script once.

But theoreticaly it is possible? Obviously all your users videos would go into one account (your account). Would there be legal issues with selling this content? There would ceirtainly be an issue in that all the users of your video hosting website (Vimeo or whatever) would be downloading your content free and your users would almost ceirtainly catch on to this at some point. It may be more trouble than it's worth but multiple users streaming lots of video is not a feesable thing to do from a home server. May just have to bite the bullet and pay for unlimited hosting.

Please any thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated, it's not something I've seen discussed anywhere on the web despite alot of searching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back