Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

automatic updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

somedea

MIS
Jul 13, 2004
US
I'm running a 2003 server based Windows XP Pro network. I've set up all the clients to automatically download and install windows updates. They can download them, but they don't install unless an administrator is logged on. Will using SUS or a group policy allow the clients to intstall updates without admin rights? I've been reading about this on Microsoft's SUS website, but it says nothing about installing the software without admin rights ) that I can find). What do you recommend for getting these updates out without having to log onto each client?

I think that I am answering your question. If an end user is logged on to a pc when the sus client determines that an update is needed, and that user is not an admin, then I beleive4 that user does not have a choice if the update will be installed or not. The update will install auto and a message box will appear to the end user that XYZ machine will reboot in xx seconds.

I hope that answers your question. So yes, if you setup SUS and change your default domain policy in AD to point to your SUS server with the same option of "I've set up all the clients to automatically download and install windows updates", then the updates will auto install if the user is not an admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back