Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic Updates unavailable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JunglesMcBeef

Programmer
Sep 18, 2003
G'day,

I have automatic updates running on the server, but it appears greyed out when I open it through the command panel, not allowing me to disable it or change any of the settings. I have had this problem before, but on a Win2K Prof machine, and it went away after much stuffing around (I can't remember what I did, but what I remember is thinking I didn't do anything!). Please help, it reboots the server whenever updates are downloaded...not good!!

I would never recommend having your server automatically updating itself. I'd keep a different PC running the SAME OS on the network or at least just have the automatic updates set to NOTIFY when updates are available... to update a server, I would recommend downloading the administrative versions of all criticals and deploying them via command line remotely... 95% of the time you can suppress the reboot response via command line.

To obtain the administrative versions of critical or other MS "official" updates for OS's, do this (from a PC that is prefereably not the server...

1. Open Windows Update
2. Click the Personalize Windows Update link (on the left-side of the browswer window where it says Other Options)
3. Click the checkbox that says Display the link to the Windows Update Catalog under See Also (right beneath Set options for Windows Update... where all 1 of the available options are visible!)
4. Click the Save Settings button at the top of the Window.

A new link at the left-hand side of the browser window will now appear on that PC when Windows Update is run. You can click on that Windows Update Catalog link at any time, and search for updates via posting date, OS version, etc. This will let you download virutally any critical update a given PC or server wants or needs and control when and how the deployment takes place. Though a remote scripting tool such as SMS or Altiris Express (or a logon script) will be necessary to run the update on a remote machine, it is a much better alternative to running around to each PC on a network and pulling the updates down the "old-fashioned" way.

Most updates have whitepapers associated with them that describe switches you can employ that determine whether or not a PC reboots, whether or not user interaction is needed, etc. Keep in mind, however, that if inconsistency was an olympic event, I'd want Microsoft on my team... i.e., they seem to have a habit of posting updates that do not follow or conform to these conventions, so be prepared for the occasional update that is aberrant and requires interaction. For those updates that do not come with clear instructions on how to deploy them, open a command window in the directory holding the update file, and try to prompt the file for a list of available administrative switches by typing <update name>.exe /?. A list of switches should show up on the screen... most of the time, <update name>.exe /q /z will deploy an updates silently, with no screen prompts or activity, and no reboot--however, many times the update will not become effective until a reboot has happened.

Good luck!

Dallas S. Kelsey, III
DKelsey-at-CHGLaw-dot-com
Cox, Hodgman, & Giarmarco, P.C.
Troy MI 48084

Ok, I have worked my way around the problem. I just changed the Local Computer Settings, adding the win updates template and configuring the settings through that. But this hasn't solved the greyed out options when accessing the settings through control panel. Even though I have found a work around, it would be nice to know an actual solution to the problem....

Thanks for the input Dallas.

Can you post a screen shot of the window you are seeing with the options grayed out? I am not sure if I am understanding you 100% or not...

Thanks. Glad you found a workaround...

Dallas

Dallas S. Kelsey, III
DKelsey-at-CHGLaw-dot-com
Cox, Hodgman, & Giarmarco, P.C.
Troy MI 48084

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back