Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

automatic update problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfriberg

MIS
Apr 16, 2002
US
good day all,
question i have not seen thrown out there by anybody else about automatic updating. i have my power users set up to auto download the updates and start the install at 12:00 (lunch time). the problem i am realizing with this move is, the updates that uncle bill is sending us is requiring a restart when they are done,(seems like they all require an update now) and my power users do not have the choice to restart when they want, it just has the window to restart now, and yes highlighted to restart (the no is greyed out)and they have 5 minutes until the cpu will automatically shut down on them. this is fine except-- if they are away taking a pee break or something and do not save CADD drawings they are working on, they will get shutdown and lose everything they had done obviously. How can i keep this setup for updates and allow them to click "no" for restarting later???

Many Thanks!
Hal

This looks pretty cool.
Wonder why we are not using it in my company .
Perhaps i should have a discussion with the bosses.
Keeping especially laptops updated is a challenge .
Greg!
Is it possible to automaticly trig when e.g a user with a laptop comes in during the day ,not at spesific times . At 3AM the user is home and the laptop is in it's carrying bag .

//Regards Soaplover

Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Micrsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

RescheduleWaitTime
Type: Reg_DWORD If the computer is switched-off at the scheduled installation time, this setting will initate the installation at the specific number of minutes after restart. Range: 1 to 60 minutes.
Settings: 1 - Reschedule installation process for 1 minute after the computer has started.
60 - Reschedule installation process for 60 minutes after the computer has started.

Great thanks a million (not $).
If we all had this at our corporate ,no more blast etc. episodes in the future(i hope..)

//Regards Soaplover

Thank you for the replys, guys.

Think I'll take the changing the default minutes to 60.

Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back