Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic subscription to multiple-site newsletters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrrhus

Technical User
Dec 18, 2001
AU
I probably have the wrong forum. Couldn't find a good match.

I want a package or some code which will allow a user to enrol an email address (or a list of email addresses) in a pre-defined list of newsletters / sites.

It would allow a new user (or group of users) to be introduced to a pre-compiled list of several / many newsletters appropriate to the particular field of interest.

Any suggestion / tips?

Thanks.

1. Not sure it's a good idea to allow anyone to submit multiple email addresses to multiple lists. For more than one reason, it would seem best to only allow managing one email account at a time.

2. The code/method would heavily rely on what you are using for your overall webdesign. Of course you can mix and match tools, but if you can keep it all in the same realm, I'd imagine that will make maintenance much better. So I'd suggest mentioning how your site is currently setup where you need to do this, and go from there.

3. Basic concept, I would imagine would be
1. A few tables in the back to match everything together, like this:
A. NewsLetter Table - contains all necessary details for a newsletter (generic, not specifically related to any one email address or group.
B. Users/Email address table containing whatever data for that side.
C. A Cross-Reference table - Basically, each record would be a correlation between the email address and the newsletter it is attached to. As a membership is removed, simply delete the record from this table. In the case of a "remove me from all lists", you'd delete any records from the cross-reference table as well as the Users/email table for that address.

Anyway, I would think that would be a basic idea to get you going, but as far as how to script it out, I couldn't say as I've not spent very much time in any of the web scripting languages at this point, other than tweaking and editing minor items.

If you can decide on a specific scripting language to work within, then it'd be best to post the question in that specific language forum.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back