Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic shutdown or logoff from PC after citrix logoff 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmconseil

IS-IT--Management
Jan 9, 2001
FR
We use Metaframe 1.8 on Windows 2000. Our clients are standard PC running on NT Workstation and thin clients running on Windows CE. The PC clients logon on an NT domain before starting their citrix session.

We made the choice to publish the desktop as the only one application authorized. Thus, users have the same environment running on PC or thin clients.

We would like to automatically shutdown our PCs or logoff from the NT session after a deconnection from a citrix session.

Is there a mean to reach that goal ?

Hello pmconseil,

You can configure your system to automatically reset a disconnected session. This is perfomed within the Citrix Connection Configuration tool. Click on the ICA connection object you have created (based on the protocol you use), click on Advanced. Within the 'Timeout settings (in minutes) section, deselect the 'Inherit User Config' box under the 'Disconnection' option. Deselect the 'No Timeout' box, and input an appropriat amount of time that you want a disconnected session to timeout. At the bottom of the screen, deselect the 'Inherit User config' box beside the 'On a broken or timed out connection' greyed option. Then click on the drop-down list box and select 'Reset'. After doing so, any newly created ICA sessions, once disconnected and timed-out will have their ports reset.

Da Ruster.

I need my Win95 PC to shutdown as well. The process DaRuster describes only disconnects the session. I have had to write a wrapper application to start the ICA session, wait for it to terminate and then shutdown afterwards.

This is overkill, but is there any other way I can do this? If you want a copy of my application I can supply the EXE free of charge, just let me know.

If you drop my app into the Startup folder it will start the ICA session "vDesktop" in seamless mode (if configured that way) when Windows 95 starts. When ICA finishes it will shutdown (95/95/Me/Win2K) without user intervention.

Hello theotherkiwi !

You well understood my issue. As you proposed it to me, I would apreciate to receive a copy of you executable to test it in my environment.

my mail is : vrz@pmconseil.com

Sincerely yours.

Check your mailbox, please critique this app as it is very v1.0 and you need to create an app in PN called vDesktop as this is hard-coded into my "wrapper" application.

Normally strting another application and waiting for it to finish is a really simple programming job...but Citrix must be special coz it evaded every attempt I made to detect it!

However, I got it working (4am) so try it out and let me know.

Richard

I'm having the same problem with the shutdown of Win95 PCs after citrix logout. Could you forward the exe !?!

Email address: jb_tester@hotmail.com

I'd like to see this app too!

Have a look at the Terminal Server Resource book for tips on programming for T/S.

e-mail citrixengineer@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks!

OK, no problem, I have been running this on a 100 PC network for a couple of months without problems (other than minor issues documented in the README.TXT) so please let me know if it works for you. The vDesktop PN app I refer to is an application without a name - i.e. just the virtual desktop...hence the name vDesktop.

Have fun. If there is a commercial use for this application please let me know. Please do not charge for the use of this software. Any requests for changes/improvements are welcome.

Richard

Can I get a copy of this too please ? sounds like an incredibly useful little APP, stephen@themarshalls.com

Thanks in advance,

Steve Marshall
Group IT
Technical Support Supervisor
(aka General Meddler)
The Expro Group
Reading
UK

hmmm.. seems very usefull..
please mail it to me too.

mailto:dschuller@maasoevers.nl

thanks,

Danny Schuller

Have you thought about adding an option to your program so that a choice is given to the users, to see if they want to shutdown the PC or re-login to Citrix ?

This would therefore save time restarting the PC jhust to log back in again.

One of the requirements for the app was to enforce the shutdown so users couldn't bypass the process and leave their machine running accidentally (the power in the building goes of at 11pm each night!) so this avoids problems. However, there is no reason that I couldn't add this as an option for the adminstrator to set up at install time.

Can I get a copy of this please ?
please send me to mail: cnole@hermes.com.pe

Thanks

Cristhian Nole Perez
Lima Peru

Hi otherkiwi,

If possible, i want this app also.

thanks in advance,
Danny
Dschuller@maasoevers.nl

If you are able to to add a logoff option to this already useful program it would be a god send.

If so could I have a copy with the logoff option

Email: jbloomer_uk@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance.

This application sounds perfect for our company. Please send me a copy as well.

Thanks loads.

greg_curtis@hub.inrg.com

I could also make use of the app. If you wouldn't mind, please send it to da_ruster@hotmail.com

Hi,
Id like a copy too - is there somewhere it could be posted to allow us to pick it up - seems a hassle to mail it out to everyone (especially people with email addresses like mine).

alan.wilson@south-ayrshire.gov.uk

Thanks

Well Richard, looks like a winner - please email me a copy of your logoff app

Email: j.beever@dacoll.co.uk

Thanks

John

P.S. I think you should sell it to Citrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back