Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic shutdown and restart on UPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoveldr

Technical User
Jun 18, 2007
US
I have an application where I'm installing a server where power will go away regularly. I plan on using a UPS to shutdown the server on a loss of power, and I know that there is a bios setting to have it restart when power is restored, but does power ever go away with the UPS?

Any ideas on how I can do this easily?

A UPS can power the server or PC for a length of time - it depends on how much power the PC draws, and how much energy is in the batteries. When AC power is removed, the UPS generates it from its batteries, and when the battery voltage declines to the point where the unit can't maintain the specified output voltage, it will shut down. Before that happens, it will send a signal via a USB or Serial connection to a connected computer, and there is software that comes with the UPS, that runs on the computer, that will shut the computer down on the signal from the UPS. The Server can be set to automatically start when it gets power again. If you want a longer runtime on batteries, you get a UPS with a higher Volt-Amp rating, or get one where you can add external batteries. American Power Conversions has an extensive line of UPSs.
There are also UPS's designed for 911 call centers and such, that have an external generator that will kick on and keep the batteries charged, for runtime measured in weeks rather than hours or minutes. It all depends on what you need to do, and your budget.

Fred Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back