Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic Restarts, Bad Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaMarahP

Technical User
Apr 22, 2009
US
Two problems:

Automatic restarts, twice the "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" error message (computer isn't overheating) other times;

the error message
0X0000008E (0xc0000005, 0x804EE67B, 0xef26ea9c, 0x00000000)
appears.

I also ran Verifier.exe, which identified driver Afc.sys Arcsoft(R) ASPI SHELL; don't know what to do with that info., looking for a repair or update for that driver. wondering if I should reinstall Windows XP.

Didn't have any of these problems until I downloaded that darn "important" Windows XP Service Pack 3 update after Explorer 7, which I just uninstalled. Maybe uninstalling Windows XP Service Pack 3 will resolve issue? I also uninstalled Skype to make recently installed Mozilla open and stop generating automatic crash reports! System won't restore, help!

do a saveboot, reinstall/uninstall the arcsoft software.
if that doesnt help, again saveboot, uninstall all cd/dvd devices, do a reboot and let windows install them again

M. Knorr

MCSE, MCTS, MCSA, CCNA

Have you tried Safe Mode to see if you can boot from there?

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore (from Safe Mode) will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Try running ChkDsk (from Safe Mode or the Recovery Console) to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes, or use ChkDsk /r from the Recovery Console. Incidentally the Recovery Console has the option to Disable drivers via the Disable Command.

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error
thread779-308429

Thank you "mates"! I resolved the "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL issue. Then I started receiving "The system has recovered from a serious error" message, so I actually wound up rebuilding my search index to stop that. Now I just have to use Linney's suggestion to resolve the driver Afc.sys Arcsoft(R) ASPI SHELL driver issue. I appreciate the suggestions. I'll return the favor sometime!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back