Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic padding/margin in IE, not Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

trollacious

Programmer
Sep 29, 2004
US
There's a discrepancy between the automatic padding/margin between Firefox and IE 6 in the logo at the top center on the following page:

and I've tried several different things to make the display uniform. I haven't done enough with CSS to remember (or know) how to force IE to NOT add extra space above the text in the logo. I'm not even sure what to search for here or on Google to get the answer.

It's a cobbled up tables and CSS setup now, and I'm open to suggestions.

Lee

Using <br /> for this is very very risky, as it is hard to control the line-height, especially across browsers. I would suggest you opt for another option, either make a list or simply two divs, one for each line. That way the gap between them will be easier to control and show equally across different browsers.

Have you tried setting the margin and padding to zero for all elements first? e.g.
Code:
{
margin:0;
padding:0;
}
This way everything will default to zero and you can just add them when and if needed.

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

I agree with Vragabond, using a table for that display is probably not your best option, using divs would make it easier to sync up cross-browser.

I've tried several different approaches, and put it up as a table this morning before leaving for work. I'll try the setting the margin and padding to 0 as soon as I can and switch to divs.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Lee

I tried the margin and padding set to 0px, and found I'd already done that in the style sheet for the body and all divs. I ended up taking a different approach and changed the moving lights marquee from 4 separate animated GIFs positioned on top of a background image to incorporating the animation directly into the background image itself, then positioning the letters on top of that. That worked fine and looks the same in IE and Firefox, and that's where it stands now.

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back