Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

automatic logon

Status
Not open for further replies.

s4dadmin

Programmer
Apr 27, 2003
US
How do you enable automatic logon for a user. I had this setup initially on my laptop with W2K Pro but then I installed visual studio.net and it changed it to manual logon. How do I get it back?

Control Panel, User Accounts. Disable or remove the VS Debugger users added by default.

There is a Debugger User and VS Developser. The Debugger User group was assigned to me so I removed myself leaving only the administrator group and nothing changed, I still have to logon. Not a problem but I would rather the computer be loaded up when I turn it on.

Remove all the users added by VS Studio. They are there to support remote debugging, and you likely will never use the feature.

In the alternative, use the Sysinternals utility (freeware) called Autlogon:
You can do this yourself through the registry, but it is slightly a pain:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows NT \CurrentVersion \Winlogon]
DefaultUserName = "MyUserName"
DefaultPassword = "MyPassword"
DefaultDomainName = "MyNetworkDomain or MyComputerName"
AutoAdminLogon = "1"

Note the security policy "Don't Display Last Username" must be disabled for the automatic logon to work. This can be done with this STRING registry value:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software \Microsoft \Windows NT \CurrentVersion \Winlogon]
DontDisplayLastUserName = "0"

in the users and groups entry in the Control Pannel, check to see if "Users must enter a user nameand password..." box is checksed, if it is, simply uncheck it and apply.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back