Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic field update

Status
Not open for further replies.

sitadba

IS-IT--Management
Jul 31, 2002
US
All,

Is there a way that I can have a field update automatically when the status changes. I added 4 new logical fields to the problem file, (alert1.flag, alert2.flag, alert3.flag and deadline.flag) When a problem ticket reaches alert stage1 I want the alert1.flag field to become 'T'if it's NULL. If the status reaches alert stage 2 I want the alert2.flag field to become 'T' if NULL. Once the field is populated I do not want it to change.

I simply want to know how high of an alert level has a problem ticket reached. Even if the current status is updated I want to know if it ever hit alert stage 1, 2 or 3.

Can I do this through the alert expression on the category records? If so what would the expression look like?

Kind Regards,
Denise

Thank you for your message. I didn't have a format control for problem.alerts. I assumed I should create one, which I did. I added a calculation with the following syntax and it didn't work.

Add=true
Update=true

if (status in $file="DEADLINE ALERT" and deadline.flag in $file=NULL) then (deadline.flag in $file="T")

I'm not sure if this is correct or not. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

I think you can uses macros for this!
Every time adding the alert to the tickets the record would be updated by problem. you can create new macros which ask for "Incidents are Saved" and the condition:

status in $L.new="DEADLINE ALERT" and (deadline.flag in $L.new=NULL or deadline.flag in $L.new=0)

Choose as type: Evaluate Expressions

in the expression fills in:

deadline.flag in $L.new=1

I am not sure with the $L.new variable in the expression but it should works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back