Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

automatic email notification of search results

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvanderw

Technical User
Aug 13, 2003
US
I would like to set up an automatic search that sends me an email each time a new item is posted to the web that meets my criteria. Is this possible and how does one go about setting this up?
Thanks
Josh

Sure it's possible. I do something similar when a definition is added to our local "online glossary" (I get an email summarising the content and offering a link I can click on to edit the record).

I use Apache/JSP/mySQL with JMail to do my solution. You could do the same using ASP and CDONTs, or PHP/mySQL using the built in mail functions of PHP.

Send some details on what environment you are considering. I'm sure plenty of us can help with pointers etc.

Jeff

Jeff,
If possible I would want to do this using a search engine like Google or Yahoo. Also, so you know what kind of background I have; I do mostly Access DB work (using some VB), so some of what you are saying is Greek to me (like Apache/JSP/mySQL with JMail). Anyway, any additional is appreciated.
Josh

jvanderw, what do you mean you want to "do this using a search engine like Google or Yahoo"??

You said you want to send an auto email to YOU everytime something on the web gets updated, do you mean get an email that notifies you of any updates that happens on a website you frequently visit?? Or email all your users when an update has been done to your website??

[sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back