Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic Domain registration, dns record and iis web site creation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulp

IS-IT--Management
Jan 11, 2002
GB
Hi All
I have a .NET (with MS SQL server) server at Telehouse and I want users to be able to sign up using a credit card for a service which will automatically register the domain of their choice and set up the server for this domain. I know how to set up the email server for each domain from an asp.net page and how to set up credit card transactions but I am not sure what else, if anything is possible from the above list! Can domain registrations be done automatically? Can the DNS records be created from .net and sql server database automatically? Also, can IIS folders etc be created automatically?
Any help will be much appreciated. [thumbsup2]

We have sorted this. And how easy it all is too!!
Thanks for all your help and posts!! [tongue]

Vulpine9 if you don't mind could you post a solution or link so that if others have your problem they may benefit from your experience. That'l do donkey, that'l do
[bravo] Mark
If you are unsure of forum etiquette check here faq796-2540

OK, sorry, I was intending to detail our solution but was unable to do so today due to time shortage!
Will post this weekend.

OK. I'll try to deal with this as best I can. I am not the main developer so here is what we know (well my version of it at least!):
1) Auto Domain registration (.co.uk only): Easy, just become a tag holder and configure web form/server to send email to Nominet as per the instructions on their site.
2) Auto DNS record: Configure webform/server to create template in the dns records folders. Use previous templates set up using wizard as examples. The only bit that is manual (ie we haven't worked out yet!) is actually creating dns record from this template. Currently we run dns wizard for each site but this obviously will not be a solution in the long term. Will post when this is sorted.
3) Auto IIS web site creation: Automation of this is part of IIS standard functionality using the scripts installed with it.
If you want more details of any of this then I will be pleased to find out from the developers for you.

If you could give more details on part 3, specifically where these scripts are located, I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks,
drew10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back