Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

automatic dial on CICS 6.1,did we lose it??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbxphoneman

Technical User
Oct 4, 2002
I upgraded a customer from CICS dr-1 to CICS 6.1. before upgrade cust said he was able to enter in phone number on dialpad and it would automatically dial the number...he didn't have to select a line...just dialed the digits.Did we lose this feature on the newest 6.1 CICS software? It should be under "user features"..."dial modes"..predial..standard dial...automatic dial

thanks
Todd

Wow, never noticed that before. Just checked on a CICS 6.0 and it now has only 2 options. "Pre-dial or Standard Dial"
Older system, 4.1 shows "Automatic dial, Standard dial, Pre-dial.
You'r right, it's gone. I will try to research it to see if there is a reason and/or if something else has to be turned on first. Maybe you have to have a prime line set first. ?????????????????
Well, just answered my own question. If a prime line is assigned to the set, you get the option back.

MarvO said it

I was testing on CICS 6.0. Don't have a 6.1 in lab, but like to verify everything that I am not 100% sure on before I reply to a question.

So, what I am trying to say is, check to see if the sets have a prime line assigned to them. Maybe that part didn't carry forward from your 1.0. 1.0 had a few minor quirks.

MarvO said it

I'll have to go back and see if that is the case.I was shocked when I upgraded the DR1 to 6.1 and lost everything in the whole system.I looked at the upgrade procedure and it says nothing about having to rebuild the whole darn thing.Myabe the jump from DR1 to 6.1 was to great? Thanks for the response.

Todd

Two points here...

I read that in order to upgrade from an older version of CICS to the 6.x you need to upgrade to 4.0 or 4.1 or 4.2 first. Then upgrade to 6.x and you will still have everything.

Second, I have found that in order to get the "automatic dial" option you need to have the prime line set to I/C. By default it is set to none.

THen you should have the automatic dial as a choice.

Salo0920, I found that the prime line doesn't have to be I/C. It can also be a line or a pool. Just as long as the set has something to get dial tone from to send the digits.

MarvO said it

Marvo1,

So it has to be something, just not nothing? I knew that when it was set to none, the automatic dial option is not listed, right?

What about the interim update to 4.x before jumping to 6.x? Have you found this to be the case as well?

Boy, you got me on that one. I have never gone all the way from 1.0 to 6.x before. There were a lot of changes at 4.0, so could be a factor.
I hated 1.0 because you could not do a backup and restore of the programming, and I was involved at the time with a project to install and program over 3,000 systems. Thankfully 2.0 came out quickly which allowed us to do the job. Thought about trying it now to see what happens, but don't have a 1.0 cart.

MarvO said it

You may have to enter the feature code for dial options, rather than set them through programming. I also had a customer that had "lost" auto dial through programming but was available through feature XXX (for the life of me I can't remember the feature code...)

Feature *82 is for dial modes you should be able to set auto dial using that...

Westcoaster, If you don't have a prime line assigned to the set, even the F*82 will not show the Automatic option.
On my systems anyway. Kind of makes sense. Have to have something to put the digits out on.

MarvO said it

Marv01, I understand you need prime line assigned. The problem (as I see it and have experianced) is with prime line assigned, you go through programming to set preferances and are only given two dialing options pre dial and standard dial, however by dialing feature *82 you are able to program automatic dial (without changing the configuration in any other manner) It is as if nortel has missed a prompt in programming.

Just tried it on 4 different systems. 2 MICS, 2CICS 4.1 and 6.0. All act the same way.
As long as no prime line is assigned for a set, you only get the 2 options "pre, or Standard" from either the User Preferences in set programming, or from the F*82 method.
Once a prime line is programmed, you get all 3 choices by either method. Makes sense. Just something simple that I never noticed, probably because I always assign a pool or intercom as prime before I ever get to the set programming.

pbxphoneman, I'm glad you started this thread. I learned something by trying to answer your question. Westcoaster, thanks for your input. Fun stuff.

MarvO said it

Hmmm...(scratching head) I wish I had the sp code of the 6.0 cics system I was working on... cuz that goldarn prompt just wasn't in there... really.... It wasn't... Really...
:)

I have to go out to customers business and look to see.I know at one point,after I lost everything that you had to select a line before dialing out (Primeline set to none)but I thought I changed all that to linepool.I'll fill ya in when I go there.Thank you for all the help !!!!

T

Hey Guys
I just upgraded a MICS from T-1 R-1 too 6.1
you can access lines, What I was doing is Feature *3 - Feature 649. It would access pool-A But I need info on Pool-B what Feature code
Thanks
Also I have done a couple upgrades do not ever go from T-1 R-1 to 5.0 or 6.0 you have to jump up in steps!!

Alife, for your pool B, do a F64 then whatever you set your access code to be for pool B. Usually 8, so try F648, or just hit intercon 8 to see if your pool B is set up.

MarvO said it

I went back to customers and it wasn't listed until I changed prime line from line pool A to I/C and then BACK again,then it showed up.very odd.

have a great day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back