Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Automatic Creation of PDFs

Status
Not open for further replies.

saqi2000

Programmer
Apr 11, 2002
GB
Hi Their,

I am using Adobe Distiller. I also use another software which converts flat text file into fancy formats and once it's done that it generates postscript code. To view what it looks like when it's going to be printed I use Adobe Distiller to convert into pdfs and then view on the screen.

Can anyone tell me how to convert those postscript file into pdfs. The way I wan it is I want to drop file into a directory and I want Distiller to kick off automatically and convert that document into PDF. [afro2]

Your help would be appreciated

Saqi

Hey there! Adobe Acrobat Distiller has 'watched' folders. It's that simple... Go to the settings pull-down menu, and select 'watched folders'... You can then define watched folders and their actions.. Enjoy!

Hi Saqi2000

u said u have some software which converts any file to .PS

where can i get that one.....
am trying to print EXCEL to .PS and then convert it to PDF.

any help would be appreciated......

Hi vjysing,

The software I use is Called PReS (Printing Resource Software) by Printsoft Australia.

It is very expensive software, I think it cost you £2000+. It is a printing softwre with that you can format flat text files into nice fancy formats.

You can find the exact prices from the following web addresses.

second solution is in excel goto file menu > print and there will an option below properties print to file (tick that) and click ok. It will prompt you for a file name giove a file name and load acrobat Distiller and open that file and it will start converting into pdf.

or for automatic conversion setup watched folder as Heybrian suggested in his post.
If you need further assistance please do let me know.

Hope this helps

cheers

Saqi

Knowledge is something no one can steal from you and it increase as time goes by. Saqi

vjysing was looking for software to output PS files...

Just set up a virtual PostScript printer. A virtual PostScript printer will create a PostScript file. You can download this for free at adobe.com in the PostScript printer download area. Simply set up the printer to go to 'FILE' instead of 'LPT1'. Then in Excel, choose the virtual PostScript printer when you choose File>Print.

You may also want to look into ghostscript, a free alternative to Acrobat Distiller.

- - picklefish - -

Jimoblak,

Thanks for your reply and correction. I will try that as well.

Cheers

Saqi

Knowledge is something no one can steal from you and it increase as time goes by. Saqi

Hi Guys,

thnx a lot for ur time.

infact i want to do this with VB programme.
only problem with that was i need to enter the file name.

any solutions for the same ?

thx

4/30/03

I have a EPSON C80 printer, can Adobe Acrobat Distiller be configured PS and print my converted PDF Documents?

thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back