Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

automatic client installations from a member server? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagk

Technical User
May 9, 2001
GB
Hi,

I would like to install NAV CE 7.5 on an NT member server but would like to push out installations to the desktops via the server. Is this possible? I have tried configuring a member server in this way and have had the desktops automatically map a drive to the member server when they log on to our network but the client installations are not automatically pushed out. The only way I can get the client installations to push out automatically is if I make the NT server a P/BDC so that the desktops are physically logging on to the server via the domain in the microsoft client. Is this the only way to push out client installations or can I push out client installtions another way?

YOu shouldn't have to make the server a pdc/bdc. have you set up the Symantec System Center console on the server yet? If you have, there is a tool within it that allows you to silently push down the NAV client to the workstations. AFter that, the client will look to that server for any future updates for the DAT virus files.

Let me know if this works for you!

~TD

Hi Technidiva,

I know that I can run the following file:

\\server\vphome\Clt-inst

on the Windows 95 PC from the NT server and that this will install NAV in managed mode which will enable me to configure automatic definition file updates for the client in the future.......but will it not only do this for the file definitions? What if I decide to upgrade the version of NAV on the server from eg 7.5 to 7.6. Will I be able to push updates of the version of NAV to the PC rather than just updates to the virus definitions?

Nope, program updates can't be 'pushed' down to clients or servers. By the way, please note that NAVCE 7.6 is not able to manage NAVCE 7.5 clients as specified in the ReadMe. You will need to uninstall 7.5 first, reboot the systems and install 7.6.

Check out the 7.6 ReadMe for more details.

Hope, this may help
Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back